Friday, June 05, 2009

Oracle layoffs, June 2009

Go to latest news on Oracle layoffs, November 2009.
Based on the large number of search engine referrals to the Spectator this morning, it appears that another layoff is underway at Oracle. As it turns out, a surge in such hits in the past has been an early indicator of layoffs, as news spreads within the organization and people search for more information.

If you have information or more details on what functions are affected, and numbers of terminated employees, please post a comment to this post or email me. Anonymity is honored, as always.

Update, Jun. 10: I have just received confirmation on one point made by the second and third comments on this post. At least one Oracle sales rep here in Southern California has been laid off and replaced by someone working out of (get this) India. I'm not sure how an India-based salesperson is supposed to rep product in Southern California.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was laid off in the jan oracle layoffs (I was a sales consultant in NA). Two of my friends were laid off yesterday. One was a sales consultant in the midwest and one was an account executive in the dc area. NA consulting, sales, and support were affected for sure in yesterday's round, not sure about the numbers.

Anonymous said...

I too was laid off yesterday at Oracle.. I was in NA sales and out of the 70-80 people who sit on my floor there were 10 of us let go. Seemed there was no rationale to who they let guy.. I was #1 on my team and they let me go and kept others who were behind me in revenue as well. Rumor has it a lot of the jobs are being sent over to India, this is confirmed by the fact that India based BDC's have been already told they were promoted to sales reps for FY10.

Anonymous said...

The general consensus is that 1000's were laid off on June 4th, 2009. This date was widely known inside of Oracle as D-Day... meaning 10% of the sales force was probably going to be let go (although as noted in the previous post, they will promote a lot of other India based inside reps to "Account Managers", and thus don't have to report as high of numbers)...

And who they let go does seem rather random. They let many excellent, high-achiever's go... (fortunately for me, I wasn't one of them... but I know one on my team who had better numbers than me was let go...)

Anonymous said...

I was laid off on June 4th- I was in the Tax and Utilities Business Unit...out of about 300 people they laid off 41...

Anonymous said...

I was let go in the recent round of lay-offs on June 5th, the infamous D-Day. There was no apparent logic behnd whom they let go since I was on quota target (get this, if you do not show up to work on that day, the internal policy is that they can't lay you off). Yes, it was quite random, high achievers, newbies, slow performers etc In our sales department of approx 60, they cut almost 15 reps.
Oracle's Q4 sales were very weak.
More to come? This was the second round in les than 6 months. As they say, things happen in 3.

Anonymous said...

Let's keep this thread going. Oracle is getting a "by" from the media. Anyone notice their layoffs are never mentioned in the news?

Hang in there!

Unknown said...

Major riff today, November 13 across the board.

Anonymous said...

I am actually a customer who was very happy with my sales rep at Oracle. Now I am dealing with someone who is hard to understand and has horrible grammer. Not happy about that at all. We are a small company but have spent over $150,000 in software. I will think twice before choosing Oracle again.